Does a Home Inspection Come With Any Guarantees?
Yes and No.
Nobody is Going to Actually Buy Your House Back
The two largest home inspector orginaztions, InterNACHI and ASHI both offer “guarantees” to members of their organizations (organizations dues are between $400-$500 a year) that are on an “opt-in” basis. What this means is that when your home inspector offers the “we’ll buy your house back guarantee” or “$10,000 honor guarantee” advertising on their website, they are advertising that they will kick-back $5-$12 per inspection to their organizations in exchange for an air-tight “guarantee” that they can offer to their clients that their clients can’t actually ever possibly collect on.
We think this is shady for a number of reasons:
- The “guarantee” is only active if the home inspector pays the fee PER INSPECTION to their organization. How do you as a home owner know that the inspector is properly paying his fees? $5-$12 per inspection can really add up over time, and as infrequent as legal action is against an inspector, it becomes really easy to keep advertising your “guarantee” without actually contributing to the fund.
- The “guarantee” doesn’t mean anything if the home inspetor’s pre-inspection agreement (otherwise known as the “you can’t sue me agreement”) prevents you from taking legal action against them in the first place. Between limitation of remedies clauses, waivers of insurance pursuit, and binding arbitration agreements, its extremely unlikely that you would be able to touch your home inspector in the event that you actually had a claim against them, let alone a fake promise passed along by them from a trade organization.
- IF the home inspector actually pays the “guarantee” dues and IF the home inspectors legal counsel is absent or extremely incompetent, then you can try to collect on your “warranty”. The fine-print on all these guarantees is freely available on their respective websites, and includes stipulations that ONLY arbitration be used by the claimant and that the claimant must go through the LOCAL legal system where the guarantor is headquartered, among numerous other protections. If all the stars align, then you MIGHT have a chance at getting SOMETHING in compensation from the home inspector organization, but it seems extremely unlikely that you get what you expect.
In short, the stars have to align perfectly for you to have a remote chance of actually collecting on your home inspector’s “guarantee” of reimbursement from failure to report or document deficiencies with your home.
Any Home Inspector offering a “guarantee” or “warranty” that makes such grand promises should be taken as a red flag and should be avoided. If they are being dishonest with their marketing, where else are they being dishonest?
Yes, All Inspections Performed by Ensure Home Inspections Come With Two Guarantees:
1) If your home is more than 10 years old, we absolutely guarantee that you save money on your home purchase by booking an inspection with Ensure Home Inspections and following our recommendations. To clarify, we promise that the potential concessions you receive from the seller by using our reports and following our recommendations, either in a reduction of the total sale price that you pay OR in repairs performed by the seller at their expense will be greater than the cost of our inspection. We know buying a home is a big deal and that home inspections are a real cost, but we promise to make that cost up to you and provide you with more than your money’s worth in seller concessions. We’ve never had to pay out on this promise for the record.
2) We promise that if you are not satisfied with the quality of our service or our inspection to refund your money. We strive to go above and beyond the call of duty and make sure every customer feels important and taken-care-of. We’ve never had a collector on this guarantee, and we’re doing everything possible to ensure we don’t, but its there.
Ensure You Know the Facts
Book an Inspection Online, By Phone, or Email
Ensure Home Inspections offers inspections services to fit a variety of consumer roles.
Home Inspector Kyle D. Scott
TREC # 23813 - TDA # 0819063
Looking for the Best Home Inspector in San Antonio? Ensure Home Inspection provides thorough, low-cost inspections, detailed reports, and personalized consultations in San Antonio, TX & surrounding areas, including WDI/termite inspections and more!
Hours of Operation
Monday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Tuesday8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Wednesday8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Thursday8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday10:00 am - 4:00 pm